A beef roast is seared, sprinkled with seasonings, then cooked until tender. Served up with tortillas and all of your favorite toppings, it makes tasty and flavorful beef carnitas that everyone will love.
This is one of my favorite new ways to use up roasts. Usually, when I make a roast, I serve it up with some garlic mashed potatoes and carrots. But this is another way to use that meat up without serving the same thing all the time.
Since we purchase a half or whole cow at a time, we tend to find ourselves with a lot of roasts. While the classic pot roast with all the fixings is such a cozy winter meal, I love being able to use the roasts in different and creative ways so our meals aren’t redundant.
But also, my family LOVES tacos. Doesn’t everyone? And somehow, someway, I don’t have a true taco recipe on the blog. So here is our favorite beef carnitas recipe. These can be made in the Instant Pot, slow cooker, or even in the oven.
I tend to use the Instant Pot more frequently since it’s much faster than the other methods. But delicious tacos are the end result, no matter what.
The best part is this recipe is really just the beginning of your delicious dinner, as you can make some sourdough tortillas to carry your meat and toppings, add a little homemade salsa (I like this fermented version), Mexican ranch dressing, fermented hot sauce, cheese, fermented jalapeños, lettuce, guacamole, or whatever your heart desires.
You can even use the meat to make a taco salad. Yum! This has been a family favorite for a while now, and I’m happy to share it with you today.
Tips For Making Beef Carnitas:
- This meal works really well to prep ahead and keep in the fridge for a busy weeknight meal. You can reserve some of the juices for reheating, or reheat it on a skillet to make crispy carnitas.
- Even though this is Instant Pot carnitas, I placed directions below for the slow cooker and the oven options.
- Searing the meat may sound like a non-essential step, but trust me, it adds so much flavor and helps the texture of the meat.
- This recipe isn’t limited to just serving it on tortillas. Use it to make nachos, salad, burrito bowls, etc. There are many possibilities.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
What kind of meat is carnitas?
Usually, it is made with pork, but we are doing a beef version today using chuck roast.
What cut of meat should I use?
I love to use chuck roast, but rump roast or brisket will also work for this recipe. You may also be able to use flank or skirt steak, but cooking times would change significantly.
What goes with carnitas meat?
Tools you may need:
Large pan or bowl
How To Make Beef Carnitas:
Combine chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
Turn on the Instant Pot to the sauté function and allow it to heat. This only takes a few minutes.
Add one tablespoon of butter to the hot Instant Pot.
Sear the roast for two minutes on each side so that it starts to turn brown. Flip until all sides are browned.
Add water or broth.
Sprinkle roast with spice mixture.
Set the Instant Pot to high pressure and set the timer for 60 minutes. Place the lid on and set the vent to sealing.
Meanwhile, sauté veggies in the other tablespoon of butter over medium heat in a medium-sized skillet.
When the Instant Pot is done, release for 10 minutes, then set it to venting.
Allow the roast to cool.
Place the roast in a large bowl or pan and use forks to shred.
Serve on warm corn tortillas with cilantro, shredded cheese, lime, and sautéed veggies.
Slow Cooker Beef Carnitas
In a hot cast iron skillet, add butter (or oil) and sear for about 2 minutes on each side or until it has a nice brown on each side.
Place roast into the slow cooker with broth and sprinkle with seasoning.
Add lid to the slow cooker and set to low for 6-8 hours.
Once the time is up, remove roast to a large pan and use a fork to shred the beef.
Serve with tortillas and your favorite carnitas toppings.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Sprinkle seasonings all over the roast and then wrap the meat in foil.
Place it in a roasting pan and bake for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or until the roast falls apart with a fork.
Find More Delicious Dinner Ideas
- Greek Chicken With Orzo Pasta
- Pork Steaks With Creamy Onion Gravy
- Beef Stew
- Maple Roasted Chicken With Sweet Potatoes And Apples
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Homemade Creamy Chicken And Gnocchi Soup
If you try this recipe and love it, I would love if you gave it 5 stars! Thank you!
A beef roast is seared, sprinkled with seasonings, then cooked until tender. Served up with tortillas and all of your favorite toppings, this makes this a tasty and flavorful beef carnitas that everyone will love.
- 2-3 lbs chuck roast
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 cup water or beef broth
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- Combine chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Turn on the Instant Pot to the sauté function and allow it to heat. This only takes a few minutes.
- Add one tablespoon of butter to the hot Instant Pot.
- Sear the roast for two minutes on each side so that it starts to turn brown. Flip until all sides are browned.
- Add water or broth.
- Sprinkle roast with spice mixture.
- Set the Instant Pot to high pressure and set the timer for 60 minutes. Place the lid on and set the vent to sealing.
- Meanwhile, sauté veggies in the other one tablespoon of butter over medium heat in a medium-sized skillet.
- Naturally release the Instant Pot for 10 minutes, then set it to venting.
- Allow the roast to cool.
- Place in a large bowl or pan and use forks to shred.
To find cooking instructions for the slow cooker or the oven, check the blog post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 565Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 471mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 57g
Leave a Reply