Healthy green bean casserole recipe made from scratch with homemade fried onions is a delicious take on the classic Thanksgiving side dish. This is the must-have recipe for the holidays, or really any time of year.
This is my fourth installment for Thanksgiving food this year. In case you missed it, I shared the best orange cranberry sauce, sourdough stuffing, and sweet potato casserole, and now this yummy green bean casserole from scratch.
This recipe is something I’ve been thinking about for awhile: how can I make it taste just like the green bean casserole we are all so familiar with piling onto our plates on Thanksgiving and eating with turkey and biscuits, but with wholesome ingredients?
I think I cracked it. We’ve made this a few times for our family, and it is so delicious.
I thought about just doing a really good side of green beans with garlic, and that’s really yummy, but is it a green bean casserole without a cream sauce and fried onions? I think not.
Everything is made from scratch, from the cream sauce to the crispy fried onions. Since I can’t utilize sourdough in this recipe, I used einkorn flour.
When I need wheat flour for a recipe but I can’t sour it, einkorn is the next best substitute, because it is the only wheat that hasn’t been hybridized, and is easier to digest than modern wheat.
It works perfectly to make crispy fried onions. Truth be told, I would eat them as just a snack. They are that good.
Alright, let’s get to making this delicious recipe.
Tips For Making Green Bean Casserole
- Slice the onions really thin, so they get extra crispy when you fry them.
- Don’t add the onions until the coconut oil is nice and hot. I like to do one test onion to make sure.
- If you don’t have coconut oil to fry the onions, you can easily substitute it with avocado oil. I would not use olive oil because it has a much lower smoke point, and the temperature of the oil needs to be pretty hot to fry.
- Chicken broth is my go-to. Turkey broth would also work. I’ve also used beef broth, or even water with great success. You may just need to adjust the amount salt.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
Tools you may need:
Can you freeze green bean casserole?
Make the green beans and cream sauce. Wait to make the fried onions until right before you are planning to serve this. Allow it to cool completely. Cover well and freeze up to two weeks.
To reheat, allow to thaw overnight in the fridge, then remove cover and bake at 350 until hot and bubbling. While it is baking, make fried onions, and then top the casserole with fried onions and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
What goes with green bean casserole?
- Serve with the traditional Thanksgiving foods, like turkey and mashed potatoes.
- It will also work as a perfect side any other time of the year.
- Serve it with a whole chicken, pot roast, ham, or pork tenderloin.
- Crispy Potatoes in a Cast Iron Skillet
- Side salad with homemade ranch dressing.
- Sourdough Biscuits
Classic Green Bean Casserole Recipe From Scratch Video Tutorial
Ingredients you will need:
Fried onion ingredients:
1/2 cup einkorn flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
Fresh ground pepper
1 large onion, sliced thin
Coconut oil – enough to fry. About 1/2 inch in the skillet.
Green Beans And Cream Sauce
1 lb green beans
2 tbsp butter
16 ounces portobello mushrooms, sliced
4 tbsp einkorn flour
1 cup homemade chicken or turkey broth, or even beef broth. If you don’t have any broth, water will work just fine. You may have to adjust the amount of salt that you use based on if your broth is store-bought or homemade.
1 cup cream
How To Make Green Bean Casserole
Start Cooking Green Beans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Boil some fresh green beans for 5 minutes, and then drain and set aside.
- While the green beans are cooking, make the fried onions.
How To Make Fried Onions:
- Preheat a cast iron skillet.
- Thinly slice onions. The thinner you slice them, the crispier they get.
- Add coconut oil to cast iron skillet.
- To a bowl, add dry ingredients: flour, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and fresh ground pepper. Mix together well.
- Place sliced onion into flour mixture and toss until well coated.
- Shake off any excess flour, and place coated onions in the hot oil. Flip with tongs until brown on all sides. This takes about one minute. I like to do this in small batches, making sure not to overcrowd the onions.
- Set fried onions aside.
Make Cream Sauce
- Heat up cast iron skillet and add butter.
- Slice up mushrooms and add to skillet.
- Saute mushrooms in the butter until browned.
- Sprinkle on einkorn flour and mix to make a roux. I like to start with any extra einkorn flour from the fried onion because it’s less waste, and then I add more einkorn flour to make 4 total tablespoons.
- Pour in broth, stir, and simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add salt and heavy cream, and whisk until the mixture thickens.
Put The Classic Green Bean Casserole Together And Bake
- Pour the sauce over the green beans. You can mix if you’d like, but you don’t have to.
- Add fried onions on top and bake for 15 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbling.
Find more delicious recipes straight from our farmhouse kitchen:
- Sourdough Pumpkin Cobbler Recipe
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls With Cream Cheese Topping
- Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream Sweetened With Dates Only
- Skillet Pork Chops With Garlic And Butter
Classic Green Bean Casserole From Scratch
If you try this recipe and love it, I would appreciate if you could come back, comment on the post, and give it 5 stars! Thanks.
- Fried Onion Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup einkorn
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- Coconut oil - enough to fry. About 1/2 inch in the skillet.
- Green Beans And Cream Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 lb green beans
- 2 tbsp butter
- 16 ounces portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tbsp einkorn
- 1 cup homemade chicken broth
- 1 cup cream
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Boil some fresh green beans for 5 minutes and then drain and set aside.
While the green beans are cooking, make the fried onions.
Make The Fried Onions:
Preheat a cast iron skillet.
Thinly slice onions. The thinner you slice them the crispier they get.
Add coconut oil to cast iron skillet.
To a bowl add flour, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and fresh ground pepper. Mix together well.
Place sliced onion into flour mixture and toss until well coated.
Shake off any excess flour and place into hot oil. Toss with tongs until brown on all sides. This takes about one minute.
Make The Cream Sauce
Heat up cast iron skillet and add butter.
Slice up some mushrooms and add to skillet.
Saute the butter and mushrooms together.
Sprinkle on einkorn flour and mix.
Pour in broth and simmer for a 5 minutes.
Add salt and heavy cream; whisk until the mixture thickens.
Put Together And Bake
Pour the sauce over the green beans and top with fried onions.
Add fried onions on top and bake for 15 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 251Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 732mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g
Pin It For Later