Grain-Free Granola Recipe with dark chocolate and cherries is a decadent and healthy way to start your morning. Nuts, coconut, chia seeds, honey and coconut oil are combined with cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and dried cherries and baked until lightly brown. Follow my tips below and see the multiple variations, including grain free pumpkin granola.
This homemade grain-free granola recipe is really simple and delicious. My family loves eating it like cereal with some milk or on top of homemade yogurt.
Traditional granola is made with oats, but many people cannot tolerate grains well or just feel better not consuming grains. So if that is you or you know someone like that than this is a great grain-free way to make granola.
If you are looking for a more traditional granola recipe, check out my Homemade Rustic Granola Recipe.
Whenever I get on a grain free kick, my kids get sick of eating eggs every single morning for weeks at a time. Who could blame them really?
So I like to change things up with a nice big bowl of grain-free granola and raw organic milk.
Is grain-free granola healthy?
Yes. Made with whole food ingredients, unrefined sugar,
Is this grain-free paleo?
It can be made paleo if using refined sugar free chocolate chips or if you omit the chocolate chips. It is not Whole30 compliant though.
Can I use maple syrup instead of honey?
Maple syrup will work perfect in this recipe and I many times will swap out the honey for it. It adds a nice yummy maple flavor to this recipe.
How long does this grain-free granola last?
This recipe should keep for up to a week at room temperature, or longer in the fridge.
Homemade Grain-Free Granola Video Tutorial:
Tips For Make Homemade Grain-Free Granola
- Measure your oil before measuring your honey. This will make the honey slip right out of the measuring cup.
- There are so many ways to make this recipe, make sure to check them out below.
- You can process the nuts as finely or as chunky as you like. One of my kids complains when she can find any nuts, so I grind mine pretty fine. If you want your cereal to have a little more texture, you can leave the nuts larger.
- To make sure it bakes evenly, make sure not to crowed the pan. Usually, I will use two pans to bake this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
Tools you may need:
Measuring cups and spoons
Cast iron skillet or other type of saucepan
Homemade Grain-Free Granola Ingredients:
4 cups of a variety of nuts, chopped coarsely (I have used walnuts, cashews, almonds, pecans and brazil nuts.)
1- 8 ounce bag of organic shredded, unsweetened coconut
6 ounces of organic coconut flakes
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
4 tablespoons cacao powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup organic dark chocolate chips
How To Make Grain-Free Granola With Chocolate And Cherries
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place all nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Heat coconut oil in a medium saucepan until melted.
- Add in honey and stir until combined.
- Pour liquid into a large bowl. Add in chia seeds, salt and cacao. Stir to combine.
- Add in the nuts, shredded coconut and flaked coconut.
- Spread out in a thin layer on a large baking sheet.
- I usually use more than one pan, so that it is not crowded. This allows it to crisp more evenly. If it is too crowded, the granola on the bottom will not get toasty.
Bake, Cool, And Add In Dried Fruits And Chocolate
- Toast at 300 for approximately 30-45 minutes, stirring halfway through the bake time.
- Just keep an eye on it and pull it out when lightly browned.
- Allow it to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Toss in dried fruit and dark chocolate chips.
It is delicious with fresh raw milk, if you’re lucky enough to live near an awesome dairy farm, like we are!
It never lasts longer than a few days in our house, since everyone likes it so much!
Grain-Free Granola Variations
For these variations, omit the cocoa powder. Chocolate chips are optional.
Pumpkin Spice: Add 1/2 cup pumpkin puree into the liquid portion of the recipe and 1/4 teaspoon each nutmeg and ginger to make a pumpkin spice variation.
Cinnamon Raisin: 1/2 cup raisins and 1 teaspoon cinnamon instead of the cherries and chocolate and omit cacao, for a cinnamon raisin granola
Caramel Apple: 1/2 cup each dried apples and butterscotch chips for a caramel apple variation.
Tropical: 1/2 cup dried mangoes and pineapple and omit cacao for a tropical granola.
Get creative with add-ins to the original basic recipe and your family could never have to eat the same cereal twice!
More Grain-Free Recipes Straight From Our Farmhouse Kitchen:
- Zucchini Lasagna
- Fudgy Peppermint Coconut Flour Brownies
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper And Tomato Soup
- Vegetable Hash Recipe in a Cast Iron Skillet
Homemade Grain-Free Granola Recipe Card
If you try this recipe and love it, I would appreciate if you could come back, commented on the post, and give it 5 stars! Thanks.
- 4 cups of a variety of nuts, chopped coarsely (I have used walnuts, cashews, almonds, pecans and brazil nuts.)
- 1- 8 ounce bag of organic shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 6 ounces of organic coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup organic dark chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Place all nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
Heat coconut oil in a medium saucepan until melted.
Add in honey and stir until combined.
Pour liquid into a large bowl.
Add in chia seeds, salt and cacao. Stir to combine.
Add in the nuts, shredded coconut and flaked coconut.
Spread out in a thin layer on a large baking sheet.
Toast at 300 for approximately 30-45 minutes until lightly browned, stirring halfway through the bake time.
Allow it to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Toss in dried fruit and dark chocolate chips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 674Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 217mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 10gSugar: 28gProtein: 12g
Pin It For Later
This post was updated December 2019.