Follow this simple tutorial on how to make raw milk yogurt in the Instant Pot. Thick, creamy, and delicious, this raw milk yogurt recipe comes out perfect every time.
Some links are affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
We’ve been talking a lot about raw milk lately, and are continuing the series with how to make raw milk yogurt in the Instant Pot. This is – hands down – the best way to make it.
It is a really quick and no-fuss recipe. It is even faster than making yogurt with pasteurized milk since you do not have to heat up all of the milk.
The usual problem with raw milk yogurt is that it can be on the runny side, but ever since making it with this method and adding gelatin, it has been a game changer. I was inspired for this recipe by my friend Wardee at GNOWFIGLINS.
Thick and creamy yogurt every single time. The best part is the cream that floats to the top, which I sometimes like to scrape off and hide from the kids.
Honestly, I wish I could just make it with straight cream and not add the rest of the milk, but since that’s not how God intended it, that’s not the way we do it.
Now if you wanted to do straight cream, you could and make it into homemade sour cream.
This recipe has become a staple in our family, and we use it a variety of ways. We make simple breakfast parfaits by topping this yogurt with homemade rustic granola and fruit. Add it to smoothies, make sauces, and even bake with it.
There really is nothing better than homemade raw milk yogurt… Well, maybe just the straight cream.
Is homemade yogurt healthy?
Rich in probiotics, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats, raw milk yogurt may be one of the earth’s most perfect foods. The probiotics in yogurt can benefit the gut microflora and help boost the immune system.
The live cultures may help those with digestive issues. Yogurt may also help reduce the risk of type two diabetes, certain types of cancer, blood pressure, cholesterol, and more (Source). Don’t you love when food not only tastes amazing, but also has great health benefits?
How long is raw milk yogurt good for?
Raw milk yogurt should stay good in the refrigerator for 10-14 days. If it lasts that long. Our kiddos gobble it up way sooner than 10-14 days.
What temperature is the yogurt setting on the Instant Pot?
The yogurt setting on the Instant Pot keeps a constant temperature at 106 to 113 degrees perfect for culturing yogurt. This consistent temperature makes making yogurt super easy and consistent.
What type of yogurt starter should I use?
There are a few different methods to culture raw milk yogurt, which I have tried and have gotten inconsistent results. The best and most consistent way to culture raw milk yogurt I have found, is from this yogurt starter from Homesteader’s Supply.
How long should I let my yogurt culture for?
Yogurt can be cultured anywhere from 8-24 hours. Yogurt needs at least 8 hours for the good bacteria to culture and thicken up. When yogurt is allowed to ferment for 24 hours, good bacteria has more time to proliferate and helps consume the lactose, allowing it to be easier to digest.
Yogurt fermented for 24 hours is suitable for a gut healing protocol, like GAPS.
Tools and supplies you will need:
Live culture- I have the best results with this one from Homesteader’s Supply.
Glass lid (optional, but handy)
Glass storage container for yogurt – we usually store ours in a half-gallon mason jar.
Tips for making raw milk yogurt in the Instant Pot
- Add gelatin to make it thicker as raw milk yogurt tends to run on the thin side.
- Use a yogurt starter culture, rather than yogurt from another batch, to inoculate the next batch for better results.
- You don’t need to use the silicon seal on the lid. The silicon seal tends to harbor smells from any other meals you’ve made in the IP before.
- A second IP stainless steel insert and glass lid come in handy. That way you are only sacrificing your Instant Pot for the 24 hours during fermentation.
How To Make Raw Milk Yogurt In The Instant Pot
- Shake up the 1 gallon of raw milk to disperse cream.
- Add about 2 cups of milk to the Instant Pot. Click the sauté function or double press the yogurt button.
- Once the milk heats up, sprinkle 2.5 tablespoons of gelatin over it and whisk until dissolved.
- Turn the sauté function off.
- Add the remaining milk to the Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon yogurt starter over the milk and mix well. Put the lid on the Instant Pot and slide it to seal.
- Press the yogurt button and set for at least 8-24 hours. 8 hours if you are in a hurry, or up to 24 hours for the most beneficial culturing time.
- When the yogurt is done fermenting, stir the cream that has risen to the top (or skim it off).
- Place a lid over the insert and refrigerate for a full 24 hours before serving.
Check out my other posts on raw milk
This post is part of a series on raw milk. We get so many questions from readers about our choice to drink raw milk. Check out our “Raw Milk Q&A” video and blog post, where I discuss why we choose to drink raw milk, the health benefits and risks of drinking it, and much more.
- How to Make Raw Milk Kefir
- How to Make Raw Milk Yogurt in the Instant Pot
- Why we Drink Raw Milk | RAW MILK Q&A
- How to Make Raw Milk Sour Cream
Homemade Raw Milk Yogurt In The Instant Pot Recipe Card
- 1 gallon raw milk
- 1/8 tsp yogurt starter culture
- 2.5 tablespoons gelatin
- Shake up the raw milk to disperse the cream.
- Add about 2 cups of raw milk to the Instant Pot. Click the sauté function or double press the yogurt button.
- Once the milk heats up, sprinkle 2.5 Tbs gelatin over it and whisk until dissolved.
- When the gelatin has dissolved, turn the sauté function off and press the yogurt button.
- Add the rest of the milk.
- Sprinkle yogurt starter over and mix well. Put the lid on the Instant Pot and switch it to seal. Set yogurt function for at least 8-24 hours.
- When the yogurt is done fermenting, stir the cream that has risen to the top (or skim it off). Refrigerate for a full 24 hours before enjoying.
Pin For Later