This sourdough breakfast sandwich is a delicious and easy breakfast recipe. Super hearty and filling to keep you full. Best part is it is totally customizable. Choose your bread, the type of eggs, and favorite breakfast meat.
The ultimate breakfast sandwich starts with yummy and tangy sourdough bread. Today, I’m going to show you how to make it with a sourdough English muffin, but feel free to use your favorite sourdough bread (my no-knead sourdough bread or sourdough sandwich bread are my favorite as well).
I love making these types of meals for busy mornings. Most of it can be prepped the night before and then fry up some eggs and bacon the day off.
The perfect homestead breakfast that keeps everyone’s belly full as we head out for our morning chores.
Why you will love this recipe:
Hearty: The ultimate fried egg sandwich, made with fermented grains is packed with protein, fat, and whole grains that will help keep your blood sugar steady and your belly full for hours.
Delicious: Tangy sourdough, salty eggs, sharp cheddar, and smoky crispy bacon, there is just so much flavor packed into each sandwich.
Healthy: Now if you lived through the 80’s and 90’s you may turn up your nose to the idea that this recipe could be healthy. But hear me out. We try to choose the best quality food possible. This recipe is made with real food (no weird ingredients), healthy fats and protein from pastured animals (we get our meat from pigs my sister raised), and whole grains.
Sourdough Breakfast Sandwich Making Tips:
- For a super fast breakfast, make the bread or English muffins. the day before. You can even fry up some bacon and just reheat it the next day. I would suggest making the eggs fresh. Fresh eggs just taste better than reheated.
- This is the perfect way to use up leftover bread.
- Feel free to make this your own, choose your favorite cheese, change up the meats, add sauce. This is really just the beginning.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
Sourdough: Real sourdough bread, sourdough biscuits, English muffins, sourdough ciabatta, or even hamburger buns. This is the perfect way to use leftover bread. I will show you how to make this sourdough breakfast sandwich recipe using an English muffin.
Eggs: This will be total preference. Use scrambled eggs, over-easy eggs, over hard eggs, whatever your heart desires. If you want a runny yolk choose sunny side up or over easy style of egg.
Cheese: I like cheddar cheese, but mozzarella, pepper jack cheese, or Swiss cheese would also be delicious.
Bacon: Could also use sausage patties or slices of ham.
Other toppings: You can get as creative as you like. Add lettuce, baby spinach, tomato, sprouts, sliced avocado or guacamole.
Large nonstick skillet or cast iron pan
Can you eat sourdough bread as a sandwich?
Yes. Sourdough bread makes the best sandwiches. Not only does it have an amazing crusty and chewy texture, but it also adds so much flavor to the sandwich. It is my favorite way to eat a grilled cheese sandwich.
What kind of bread do you use for breakfast sandwiches?
Artisan bread, soft sandwich bread, biscuits, waffles, sandwich rolls, buns, etc. Will all work to make a hearty breakfast sandwich,
What is the best bread for egg sandwiches?
The best bread is English muffins, sourdough biscuits or sliced sourdough bread.
Are eggs good on sourdough?
Yes! Buttered toasted slices of bread topped with salty fried eggs make the most delicious sandwich.
How To Make A Sourdough Breakfast Sandwich
Make sourdough english muffins. You can also use sourdough biscuits or a slice of sourdough toast.
Cut the muffins in half and toast in a skillet. Spread with butter.
Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add a little butter or olive oil to the pan and cook the eggs to your liking.
Place the egg on the English muffin half.
Top with slices of cheese, bacon, and any other toppings you desire (i.e. sliced avocado, lettuce, and sliced tomato).
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Find More Delicious Breakfast Recipes:
- Cheddar Sourdough Waffles
- Sourdough Breakfast Strata
- French Toast Casserole
- Sourdough Breakfast Pizza
- Einkorn Cream of Wheat – Breakfast Porridge
If you make this recipe and love it, I would love it if you gave it 5 stars! Tag me on Instagram @farmhouseonboone with your delicious creation.
Sourdough Breakfast Sandwiches
This sourdough breakfast sandwich is a delicious and easy breakfast recipe. Super hearty and filling to keep you full.
- 4 Sourdough English muffins, sourdough bread slices, or buns
- 4 Eggs
- 8 slices of bacon (ham or sausage will also work) or omit
- 4 slices cheese
- Other toppings (sliced tomato, lettuce, sauces, avocado etc.)
- If you plan to make the sourdough english muffins, start them the day before.
- Cut the muffins in half and toast in a skillet for a few minutes until golden. Spread with butter.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add a little butter or olive oil to the pan and cook the eggs to your liking.
- Place the egg on the English muffin half.
- Top with slices of cheese, bacon, and any other toppings you desire (i.e. sliced avocado, lettuce, and sliced tomato).
- Add the other half of the muffin and serve.
For a super fast breakfast, make the bread or English muffins the day before. You can even fry up some bacon and just reheat it the next day. I would suggest making the eggs fresh. Fresh eggs just taste better than reheated.
This is the perfect way to use up leftover bread.
Feel free to make this your own, choose your favorite cheese, change up the meats, add sauce. This is really just the beginning.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 500Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 236mgSodium: 1057mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 28g
Leave a Reply