Learn how to make homemade laundry soap with all natural ingredients for under 5 dollars. This DIY Laundry Detergent is an effective way to clean clothes and fight stains.
She shared with us a few weeks ago a tutorial for how to make All Natural Organic Cocoa Lip Balm.
Today she is back with another DIY recipe that you can use to keep your clothes clean, without all the junk.
I will let Laura take over, as she shares how to make homemade laundry soap.
Homemade Laundry Soap is Inexpensive
A few years ago, I started making most of my household products.
The main reason was to cut down on toxins entering the body. The other bonus is it saves us lots of money!
Making laundry soap is super easy, and very inexpensive! All you need is a handful of natural ingredients, many of which you may have on hand if you are already creating natural cleaning products for your home.
It makes 5 gallon bucket worth and that lasts my family five months (I do a load everyday) and it cost under $5!
It is worth the 15 minutes it takes me to whip it up.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Get my full disclosure HERE.
Tips For Making Homemade Laundry Soap
- You can scent your detergent with a variety of essential oils. Orange happens to be my favorite of the moment. Make sure when using essential oils they are 100% pure. Don’t fall for cheap grocery store kinds.
- This natural laundry detergent will become thick and chunky my morning. Stir it up using an immersion blender or even a drill with a paint mixer attachment.
- The type of water you have at your house may impact how effective this recipe is. Those who have hard water with a lot of minerals may find that it is less effective. I’ve been using this recipe for 5+ years and still love it.
Homemade Orange Scented Laundry Soap Ingredients and Supplies
30 drops essential oil of choice (I like lavender or anything citrus)
Homemade Laundry Soap Instructions
1. Shred a 5 ounce bar of Fels Naptha Soap with a cheese grater. You could also use a food processor.
2. Put the soap in a saucepan with 2 cups of water, over medium heat, and stir constantly, until the soap is all melted.
4. Give it a stir, and fill the rest of the bucket with water.
5. Add essential oils for scent.
- My favorite is Wild Orange!
- I do 25-30 drops for a 5 gallon bucket.
6. Let it sit overnight with the lid on.
How To Use Homemade Laundry Detergent
Add about 1/2 cup per load in my HE washer per load, so it lasts a VERY long time.
You can add directly to the washer or place it in the load and go compartment (if you have one).
Making laundry soap is quick and easy!
You can feel good about using this soap, as it is made out of all natural ingredients, and works very well.
Find More Homemade Products:
- Homemade Non-Toxic Bathroom Scrub
- Minimalist Cleaning Essentials
- Natural Homemade Diaper Rash Cream
- How To Make Beeswax Candles
- 1 cup Borax
- 1/2 cup Washing Soda
- 1 Fels Naptha soap bar
- 30 drops essential oil of choice (I like lavender or anything citrus)
- 5 gallon bucket with a lid
- drill paint mixer attachment
- cheese grater
- Measuring cup
Shred a 5 ounce bar of Fels Naptha Soap with a cheese grater.
Put the soap in a saucepan with 2 cups of water, over medium heat, and stir constantly, until the soap is all melted.
Fill the five gallon bucket 1/2 way with water.
Add 1/2 cup Washing Soda, 1 cup Borax, and your melted soap water mixture.
Give it a stir, and fill the rest of the bucket with water.
Add essential oils for scent. I do 25-30 drops for a 5 gallon bucket.
Let it sit overnight with the lid on.
In the morning give it a good shake, or stir to mix well. Stirring it with a drill paint mixer attachment, or an immersion blender, really helps to get the clumps out!
I use 1/2 cup per load in my HE washer, so it lasts a VERY long time.
You can add any variety of essential oils that you like. My favorite is wild orange.
The type of water you have may impact the effectiveness of homemade laundry detergent. It may not work as well if you have hard water.